CLICK HERE for The Top-Rated & Best-Selling Health and Personal Care Products
How to overcome procrastination - Accept responsibility
The first step toward overcoming procrastination is recognizing that it's a problem. Procrastinators have big problems and small problems, but most of their problems are caused by procrastination.
All procrastinators share certain traits:
- They know what they should do about a problem, and in many cases they know what specific action needs to be taken. Yet they find reasons to avoid action.
- They are reluctant to do anything about a problem now, but vow to take action at some vague time in the future.
- They promise to take action when the "right" circumstances present themselves. By making performance of the job depend on something else, they justify their decision to delay action. They delude themselves into thinking that their hands are tied. They would like to do something but can't-it's not their fault.
Research shows that you can develop new habits in just two weeks if you're serious about changing. Think about people you know who always get things done. What are their work habits? How do they approach unappealing tasks? How do they stay focused?
Here are some simple tips that can help you take charge of your life today:
- Mentally prepare yourself to be productive. I begin every day in prayer and meditation. I keep inspirational messages where I can see them. Then I visualize my success during the day. Procrastination is a real monster, and it won't go away unless we do something about it every day. If I'm passionate about a job, I can get it done at any time of day and under any circumstances-the problem is when to tackle the hardest and most tedious jobs. Always ask: At what time of day am I most productive? Most people say they're most productive early in the morning; by mid-afternoon it's harder for them to sit still and concentrate on work. Try to schedule the hard jobs for your most productive time.
- Don't over-socialize at work. Office chitchat and gossip keep many people from getting more accomplished. Let people know when you don't want to be disturbed. Think about the things in your work environment that contribute to staying focused. What things distract you or make you want to postpone a job? How can you redesign your environment to eliminate causes of procrastination? (A workspace doesn't have to be neat, if you know where to find things.)
We are not victims of our circumstances. You can overcome procrastination now-you can do the things that need to be done. And you can learn to distinguish between the things that need to be done now and the things that can wait.
Selected ArticlesHow Planning Can Help You Conquer Procrastination
Win The War Against Procrastination - The Battle Begins In Your Mind
How To Defeat Procrastination And Get The Most Out Of Life
How To Defeat Procrastination - Believe You Can
Time - Your Most Valuable Asset In The War Against Procrastination
The Best Cure For Procrastination - Your Vision
Enthusiasm - The Best Weapon In The War Against Procrastination
Why You Need An Action Plan To Defeat Procrastination
How To Overcome Procrastination - Just Do It!
How To Overcome Procrastination - Accept Responsibility
Tired Of Putting Things Off? - Put An End To Procrastination Today
How To Overcome Procrastination - Set Daily Goals
How To Beat Procrastination - Stop Gathering Information!
How To Take Charge Of Your Life - No More Procrastination
Tips For Overcoming Procrastination - Raise Your Expectations
There's Only One Way To Defeat Procrastination - Do Something!
How To Beat Procrastination - Face Your Fear And Do It Anyway
How A Positive Attitude Can Help You Overcome Procrastination
How Conquering Procrastination Can Help You Reduce Stress
Increasing Your Energy Can Help You Defeat Procrastination
How To Overcome Procrastination - It All Depends On You
Tips For Students Who Want To Overcome Procrastination
Overcome Procrastination And Start Living A Richer Life Today
No More Excuses - How To Overcome Procrastination Today